Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

"Pale green pants with nobody inside them"

Meet Fritz.  He is my 7 month-old American Eskimo.  He is also known as the comic relief in my life. 

This morning, as is my royal duty,  I let Fritz out the back door when he barked.  He bounded out with his usual anticipation of a romp through the wild wilderness (our backyard) that he alone is king of. 


But today, he stopped dead, barely over the threshold.  He began barking ferociously, as if Satan himself was waiting in the backyard to collect our very souls, so I hesitated before I looked out to see what was the matter.  When I dared, Dr. Seuss and I had a good laugh!

"Pale BROWN pants with nobody inside them"

I had forgotten that I had hung some linen pants out to dry in the sunshine yesterday.  I haven't hung clothes out since last summer and Fritz (who wasn't even born yet) has never seen them.  In his mind, an atrocious monster had come into his backyard and he needed to protect us all from certain doom.  He barked and barked.  Attacking those pants long enough for me to grab my camera and snap a photo. 


"Well...


I was walking in the night
And I saw nothing scary.
For I have never been afraid
Of anything. Not very.


Then I was deep within the woods
When, suddenly, I spied them.
I saw a pair of pale green pants
With nobody inside them!

I wasn't scared.
But, yet, I stopped
What could those pants
be there for?

What could a pair of pants at night
Be standing in the air for?"

-Dr. Seuss


Thanks Fritz.  For making me smile.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make comments!