Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nature Walk



All the women in my house (daughter, daughter-in-law, and me) went on a nature walk the other day.




Fall is fast approaching, but there was still quite a selection of wild flowers.




People around here call these "sunflowers."  But I've always called them "Black-eyed Susans."  What a lovely showing they put forth.




I believe this little weed is Chicory.  It was brought over from Europe ages ago---as a coffee substitute.  Apparently, the root can be roasted and ground up and has some stimulant effect.  I just remember picking them off the side of the road because they were such a lovely purple.




This butterfly was quite shy.  So I moved in slow. 







Who knew there was such beauty on the edge of a road?




I'm trying to focus on something in the center of this picture--but look at the amazing dead weed formation in the upper left corner.  My camera apparently knew what was worthy of its focus.




But seeing as I was pushing it, my camera agreed to focus on the grasshopper in the end.  Lovely creatures, grasshoppers.  So fancy in their legwear.  But then their legs are their best feature.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make comments!