Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hunger Challenge Week 3


We survived Week 2 of the Hunger Challenge!  We had a really busy week and I wasn't in the mood to make everything from scratch--so we suffered a little bit.  I spent my extra money from the previous weeks on another gallon of milk and some apples and bananas.  I'm not sure why we ran out of milk.  Must have been thirsty!

But I did make homemade tortilla chips and we had some yummy Mexican food with guacamole one night.





Another night, I made a big pan of scalloped potatoes and that lasted us for several meals.






Scott and I were overjoyed when we found a small bottle of soda in the back of the cupboard!  (Yes, I know it's silly---but soda is not really a necessity of life and so hasn't been on the grocery list.)  But we were very happy to split this one!  




We were also THRILLED to get invited to dinner at our daughter's house.  Thanks Elizabeth!

This week, I am hoping to be more on target of eating well and also staying within budget and NOT feeling sorry for ourselves.  





Same 3 gallons of milk for the week.  $5.13  (yay!)




I found some awesome deals at a different grocery store.  Frozen REAL and NAME BRAND juice was on sale for 79 cents a container!  I bought 8.  As we have been missing juice a lot!  And I found hamburger cheap and little sirloin steaks.  Two loaves of really nice bread for $2/loaf.  I also bought some ice cream.  And some pepperoni in case we want a pizza!  ; )

We've spent $45.35 so far.  That leaves $4.65 left which I will probably spend on some more produce tomorrow when a certain store has a special Wednesday sale.

Our planned menu for the week goes like this:

Breakfasts:  Cold Cereal (still have lots from last weeks great deal,) Oatmeal, Toast, Eggs

Lunches:  Sandwiches (found a great deal on bistro deli meats (plus a coupon on the package for 55 cents off!) , Applesauce, Ramen Noodles, Leftovers

Dinners:
Homemade Chili and Cornbread
Pumpkin Curry (I have a great recipe out of a current magazine and lots of orange squash)
Tomato Soup (homemade--very easy) and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Steak and Baked Potatoes
Breakfast for Dinner--probably bacon and pancakes
Oven-fried Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork (never did this one last week)

I might change one of these out for a pizza night.

We will supplement meals with bananas, apples, green beans (still coming from the garden), squash, and potatoes.

So far no one has gone hungry!  And remember we are eating off of HALF the average amount given to people for Food Stamps!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make comments!