Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fat is Where It's At!

I promised to write about what I did with my home-rendered lard.  I still have quite a bit left, but this was the first of my yummy adventures:




 Homemade Tortillas!




The recipe is quite simple:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 2 Tbls lard
1 cup hot water

Combine dry ingredients.  Cut the lard into the dry ingredients.  Pour in hot water, and bring mixture together.  Lightly knead the dough and then let it sit to rest with a dishtowel covering the bowl for an hour.  Divide the dough into 16 equal balls.  Let the balls set a bit and then roll them out very thin and cook on a hot griddle for 20-30 seconds on each side.  



I used a lot of flour in the rolling out as my dough was a bit sticky.





Tortillas were everywhere!




I cooked them on a hot griddle, turning when the bubbles started forming.  No oil was needed in the griddle.



A lovely stack of warm, fresh tortillas!  Throughout the week, we made burritos and cheese crisps and tacos and enjoyed them all!




We also used up some frozen cranberries by making cranberry/raisin pie!  With a perfectly flaky LARD crust, of course!  Recipe can be found here.  (It's a fun blog worth reading--about homesteaders in Virginia!)




YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make comments!